Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Father's Day Gifts - not what dad wants

When you are shopping for Dad, and Don't know what to get.

My dad would always marvel and treasure any little gift given to him, especially by me, his son. To a point where I would always think, "C'mon Dad, really?" but yeah really. These things were that important to him. He still has things tucked away that I gave him when I was a boy.
It was never the gift he wanted, needed or expected though, it was the time. For some reason, when you become a dad, time is this precious commodity. I feel it myself as a dad when I look at my teenage daughter with her nose in the air, I just want her time. Nothing special, just time. I found myself cherishing cards and pictures from years past as well.

I am not sure when it began, but it was some father's day when I had no money, and was behind on bills, and had no idea what to do. I said, "You just want to go fishin' on father's day dad?"
The answer was absolutely!

That was the year it all changed, and I started to "get it". I guess it's a Van Morrison "cat in the cradle" moment and thing, but every father's day no matter what is going on, my dad and I have always planned and assumed we would be going fishing. Some years we have to move it around a little for the weather, but it happens.
It has been one of the best gifts we could give one another, time with my dad, time with his son. Money doesn't matter. Sometimes it can just be sitting on the bank of the brook, or it can be blasting around in the bay looking for monster Stripers, Blues or Sharks.

There is nothing you can really buy your dad that will be better than your time, and there is nothing more valuable than the memories made. This year some of my friends are reminded of the dad's that have left this world, and in my nod to them, I cherish my time with my father even more while he is here.

So this Father's day, I encourage you all to give the best gift that you have to yourself and your dad..... your time.

If you catch some fish too, well that's just fine!

~Lloyd Metcalf

No comments:

Post a Comment