Saturday, October 27, 2012

Ice Augers - Makin' Holes

One Auger, Two Auger, Old Auger, New Auger.

Maybe I am getting old and stuck in my ways, but I have an old Eskimo 8" gas powered auger that my dad gave to me when he got a little too old to hang on to it effectively. I keep the blades sharp, careful to how it sits, and clean the carb every couple of years and do some general maintenance. It has served me well for a long time.

I hopped online today to just "see what's out there". I know most of the folks on the ice are clamoring after a 10" auger. Apparently they think there will be fish that won't fit through an eight inch hole. I guess we can all dream, and perhaps some of those bass fill a hole. Otherwise the ten inch hole DOES take longer to ice over.

Well Jiffy is now turning out propane powered augers!! This was all new to me. The idea, at first, seemed weird, then genius.  Clean burning, no mixing gas, transport is a snap, no more spilled gas in the bottom of the jetsled. This is something you could just pop right in the back seat of your car when you are done if you had no truck, and it would stink less than your fish.

I will have my eyes on the ice this winter to see who has one. I am anxious to see one in action. The igloo name is pretty solid, has been around for quite some time, and generally leads the way when it comes to making a hole in the ice.

My old Ice auger still has many good hours left in it, so I'm not really ready to put it up for sale just yet, but it's innovations like this that make it tempting.

If anyone has one of these, or has used one, I would be interested in hearing about it. leave a post below or on fishin' hole  facebook page.

Below are some links to more detail on these and other models.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment